Monday, May 24, 2010

Dad's Microwave Caramel Corn

I remember when my parents brought home our first microwave. We had a family lesson from my dad on how to operate the microwave too! It wasn't an el cheapo flimsy piece of kitchen gadgetry either. It was a nice microwave. I also remember that one of the first things my dad learned to "make" in the microwave was Microwave Caramel Corn. I was probably about 10 years old at the time and my dad still makes this same recipe today. Although my father has always popped his own popcorn for the recipe, I use the microwave popcorn (the fat free, as it is the most plain) and it turns out just fine.




4 qts popped corn (about 1 C unpopped, or 3 microwave bags popped)

1 C brown sugar

1 stick butter (1/2 C)

1/4 C light corn syrup

dash salt



Place popped corn in brown paper grocery sack. (You can also use a big Tupperware with lid if it will fit in your microwave.) In microwave-safe dish cook brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt 3-5 minutes on HIGH, stirring every minute. Once brown sugar has dissolved, pour over popcorn, roll bag shut and toss well to coat. Place closed bag in microwave and microwave on HIGH another 1 1/2 minutes. Remove and shake well. Return to microwave another minute, and remove and shake well again. Place bag outside or in other cool, dry place until caramel is set. Break into pieces and store in airtight container. The nice thing about this is it's easy clean-up! Simply throw the bag away and only 1 dish to clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't talk with your mouth full! Leave me a comment instead! :)