Sunday, April 3, 2016
Tomato Basil Pasta Salad
16 oz uncooked penne pasta
3/4 C olive oil
1/3 C balsamic vinegar
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1-2 C fresh mozzarella pearls
1/2 C pine nuts
1-2 basil leaves, torn
Salt, to taste
Cook & drain pasta and place in salad bowl. In small mixing bowl whisk together oil & vinegar; pour over pasta & mix well. Add remaining ingredients and toss well to coat. Cover & refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tuesday, March 15, 2016
Grandma Velma’s Irish Potato Bread
Makes 2 loaves
2 Tbsp sugar
4 tsp salt
2 pkg dry yeast
6-8 C flour, divided
1 ½ C prepared mashed potatoes
½ C water
1 ½ C Milk
½ C butter (1/2 stick)
- In mixing bowl combine sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 ½ C of the flour; set aside.
- In a 2 qt sauce pan add potatoes, water, milk, and butter. Heat over low, stirring often until very warm and combined.
- Very slowly stir liquid mixture into dry mixture.
- Add eggs and beat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in 3 ¼ C of the flour to make soft dough.
- Turn dough onto floured board and knead for 10 minutes.
- Knead in additional 1 ½ C of the flour.
- Shape into big dough ball and place in lightly greased bowl, turning to coat dough.
- Cover with towel or plastic wrap and let rise 1 hour.
- Punch down. Turn onto floured board. Cut dough in half. Cover again and let rest 15 minutes.
- Place each half into large, greased loaf pan and gut 2 gashes across top with serrated knife. Cover and let rise and additional hour. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brush top of loaves lightly with milk.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Turn out from pan and cool on wire rack. Let cool before cutting.
· Recipe can be used to make dinner rolls as well. About 3 ½ - 4 doz.
|Allan Rosenberg/Cole Group/Photodisc/Getty Image|
Thursday, February 18, 2016
Fried Nacho Tacos
All kidding aside, if you are like me and love recipes with 5 ingredients (6 if you count the cooking oil, but who's counting?) or less and cooks in 20 minutes or less, then this is a must try! This recipe came about because I didn't have any motivation to cook an elaborate dinner tonight and my food storage/deep freeze is always stocked with these items.
1 lb ground beef
1 packet taco seasonings
1/4 C. water
1 can cheddar cheese condensed soup
18 soft corn tortilla shells (white or yellow)
In small skillet brown ground beef over Med-Hi heat. Drain fat.
Stir in 1 packet of taco seasonings, and ONLY 1/4 C of water. (This is less than the packet instructions.) Stir until seasonings are evenly distributed.
(I know, I know - it looks like Kitty had an accident, but I promise it's sooo delish!)
Stir in cheddar cheese soup until well mixed. Turn off heat.
Heat 2-3 tbsp cooking oil in new skillet. (I love my electric skillet for this.)
On a plate, place a stack of about 18 tortillas and microwave about 1 minute. This helps keep the tortillas pliable and from tearing when folding.
Place one spoonful of cheesy-meat mixture on one-half of a tortilla shell.
Fold tortilla in half and fry a few minutes each side, until golden brown.
Placed fried tacos on a plate lined with paper towel to help absorb excess grease.
Step 9. EAT & ENJOY!!!
p.s. I love to dip mine in homemade ranch dressing. MMMMMMM!