Monday, November 9, 2009

Fish Fry!


I start with the following "fry mix" and improvise as I go. Sometimes I add seasonall or other spices. I have used this mix with Tilapia, Orange Roughy and Catfish and it was good with all of them. Oh - and by the way - 2 of my kids "don't like fish"... but they like this. I think it's the crispness that helps.


Fish Fry Mix:

cooking oil
milk or lightly beaten egg
1 C cornmeal
2 tbsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp chili powder, more or less
2 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste
Depending on the size, this should be enough for 6-8 fish fillets.

Heat oil in pan. (or can use deep fryer) Mix dry ingredients together and place in ziploc bag. Take each fish fillet and quickly brush with milk or beaten egg and then turn in bag to coat. Fry in hot oil in pan a few minutes each side. Continue turning every few minutes until golden brown and desired crispness. Drain on paper towel or parchment paper.



Tips: I like to buy the individually flash-frozen fillets. I take them out of the package and rinse slightly before using. I don't even thaw them out and they are perfect. This seems to help the fish from falling apart in the pan as well. Also, covering the pan with a lid helps to cook evenly and reduces hot oil spatters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't talk with your mouth full! Leave me a comment instead! :)