Monday, November 3, 2008

Tater Tot Casserole




This is a Favorite Dish around our house. One that my boys ask for frequently.



1 lb ground beef

seasonings (salt, pepper, onion powder, minced garlic, etc.)

2 C shredded cheese (cheddar, Colby jack, etc)

frozen tater tots (small bag)

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/4 C milk

8 oz sour cream

salt and pepper, to taste

3 C corn flakes

1/4 C butter, melted



Brown ground beef and add salt, pepper, chopped onions, minced garlic or other desired seasonings. Drain fat and spread meat on bottom of 9x13 pan. Sprinkle cheese over warm meat. Make a bed of tater tots on top of cheese. In small mixing bowl combine soup, milk and sour cream. Pour sauce over tater tots. Add salt and pepper to taste (or I use seasoned salt). Place corn flakes in Ziploc freezer bag and crush with rolling pin. Pour melted butter in bag and reseal. Work bag to mix melted butter with flakes. Sprinkle flakes on top of casserole. Bake @ 350 for about 45 minutes.



Very Creamy. Very Good!!!

3 comments:

  1. I like to try this, can you taste the sour cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sour cream isn't an overly strong flavor. It's main purpose is to help the casserole stay creamy, whereas milk would just make it runny. You could try reducing the sour cream to half, and then instead of 1/4 C milk, try 1/2 C half & half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a variation of this, as I am sure most everyone does...

    I hate mushrooms, so I use either cream of potato or celery. Cook the hamburger with diced onion and garlic and on occasion put green beans in with it all. And I don't use the sour cream. Love it though ;-)

    -Rat

    ReplyDelete

Don't talk with your mouth full! Leave me a comment instead! :)