Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tracy Huxford's Strawberry Yogurt Cake aka "New Beginnings" Cake

Sometimes the tastiest foods are the simplest and I'm all, "Why didn't I think of that?"  I attended an LDS "New Beginnings" night for the young women at church about 18 years ago.  (I was an advisor at the time.)  The leaders decided to serve strawberry cake for the refreshments and each brought their own variation.  This one, made by Tracy Huxford, was my favorite.  I don't know why I don't make it more often, as it's ridiculously simple.  Whenever I do make it, I can't help but think fondly of her.  Ever since that night, I've always referred to this as "New Beginnings" Cake.  I taught my daughter to make this today.  It's going to be our dessert tonight after dinner.


1 Super Moist White Cake Mix
3/4 C water
1/3 C vegetable oil
3 egg whites
2 - 6oz. Yoplait Strawberry Yogurt
1 tub Cool Whip
Strawberries for garnishing, if desired

Preheat oven to 350. Combine mix, water, oil, egg whites and 1 container yogurt on LOW speed 30 sec.  Then beat on MED 2 min.  Pour into prepared 9x13 pan.  (I used 2 round pans in above photo.)  Bake 35-40 min or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.  (I baked the 2 rounds about 20-25 min.)  Cool completely.  Fold the other container of yogurt into the Cool Whip. (Add 1-2 drops red food coloring if you want a pink frosting. (I didn't do that.))  Spread over cooled cake.  Garnish with fresh strawberries.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

NOTE:  The cake mix may give you different amounts for the water, oil, and/or egg whites.  Keep in mind, since you are adding in yogurt, you will want to use the amounts listed above for best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't talk with your mouth full! Leave me a comment instead! :)