Thursday, November 24, 2011

Grandma Goldie's Coconut-Oatmeal Pie

Truth be told, I only remember my grandmother making this particular pie a handful of times.  But when she did, boy did I love it.  As an adult, when I went back to visit with her once I asked her how to make it and she was all too happy to fetch her recipe which was scrawled on a piece of paper and tucked into a drawer.  My kids say that when you add a bit of whipped topping to it, it tastes like the Little Debbie's Oatmeal Cream Pie snacks, only better.  I don't know about that, but this is one of my all-time favorite pies.  I also love this pie because it is soooo simple to make.  Not.Even.Kidding.




1 C water
3 eggs, slightly beaten
2/3 C granulated sugar
1 C brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 C flaked coconut
2/3 C oats
1 unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 375.  In mixer, combine all ingredients until mixed well and pour into pie shell. Bake 50-60 minutes or until set.


Crust Tip:  Because this pie takes a while to bake, you can use strips of foil over your pie crust edges to prevent them from getting too dark.  If you make pie a lot, however, you may want to invest in {{Pampered Chef Pie Crust Shields}}.  I have two of these and I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't talk with your mouth full! Leave me a comment instead! :)