Saturday, October 22, 2011

Easy Pumpkin Swirl Brownies

Martha Stewart showcased some pumpkin brownies once and I've wanted to try them ever since.  However, I do not have all the time in the world like she does, so I came up with my own "quick" method.  Martha says to add a little cayenne pepper as it compliments the pumpkin flavor and really enhances the chocolate.  Well -- I went and forgot all about that, so I did not end up putting cayenne in this batch, but maybe next time.  I am for sure willing to try it.


1 family-size brownie mix (for 9x13 pan)
eggs, oil and water according to package directions

6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 C pumpkin
6 tbsp sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional

Topping: Chocolate chips, nuts, etc. (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  In mixing bowl prepare brownie mix according to package directions.  Pour 2/3 batter into bottom of baking pan; set aside.  In separate mixing bowl cream together cream cheese and pumpkin.  Add remaining ingredients; mix well.  Drop by spoonfuls over chocolate layer.  Take remaining chocolate batter and drop over top of pumpkin layer.  Using a butter knife, pull knife through batter, first length-wise and then cross-wise until achieving desired swirl look.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips or chopped nuts if desired.  Bake 40-45 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool completely before cutting.  Store leftovers in airtight container.

I know, I know - don't say it.  It looks like a cat crapped all over my brownies.  But seriously, once you smell this pumpkin batter, you will agree these are delish!
My purdy swirl design... 
I added semi-sweet chocolate chips to mine just to add a little more to the presentation, since I was taking it to a party.  
The finished product!  Yummm!

2 comments:

  1. These were really good. Kyle keeps eating them. He was wondering what made them so rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad I didn't take the leftovers home, because I have been craving them, and I probably would've eaten the entire pan.

    ReplyDelete

Don't talk with your mouth full! Leave me a comment instead! :)