Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cake Balls


Thanks to my friend Holli for teaching me to make these delightful little balls! Truly, they are SIMPLE! Some recipes will tell you to bake the cake the day before, but Holli must know what a slacker I am, 'cuz her recipe is even easier! For this batch-o-balls I used Strawberry cake mix and store-bought strawberry frosting.

Step 1. - Bake 9"x13" cake according to cake mix directions. Let cool just enough to touch, but not completely cooled.

Step 2. - While cake is still warm, empty into large mixing bowl. Add 1 tub frosting and mix well until frosting has "melted" into cake mix. (At this point I usually place in refrigerator to let "set" a little while I clean up and prepare my baking sheets for the next step.)

Step 3. - Using a spoon or ice cream scoop, form cake into approximately 24 - 2" balls. Place on cookie sheets lined with waxed or parchment paper. Place in freezer and freeze at least 1 hour. *I have actually left a batch in the freezer for 2 weeks and they were just fine.

Step 4. - Melt 1 lb. bakers/dipping chocolate. Using fork or candy sticks, dip balls into melted chocolate, using a spoon to help as needed. Remember the "flat" side of the balls as they chilled on the paper? Return the dipped balls to the paper, again on that flat side. Let chocolate set up.

Step 5. - (optional) Decorate dipped cake balls as desired.

Helpful hints:

* If you desire to bake the cake a day or two beforehand, that is fine. However, when mixing in the frosting, it will take a bit more work. I recommend using 2 forks to really get everything combined well.

* Using the chocolate baking "discs" from Orson Gygi's, Michael's, or Robert's is probably much cheaper than buying the baker's chocolate from the grocery store and you will have a lot more colors to choose from.

* For my "double broiler" I simply place a glass bowl over my pot of boiling water. It fits right in the top half of my pot perfectly!

* You can use any cake mix and frosting flavors you desire. I have even used German Chocolate Cake and German Chocolate Frosting and those were some of my children's favorite cake balls!

* Look at some other cool ideas for holidays or parties -- (I googled "Cake Balls" under the Image tab). Get inspired and get your balls on! :)



1 comment:

Don't talk with your mouth full! Leave me a comment instead! :)